Mass Effect (Shadowrun 4th ed)
- L1 – These biotics can manipulate small objects, but their abilities are not strong enough to be offensively viable, because the L1s were implanted after puberty.
- L2 – The L2 implants were first implemented in 2167. The results vary wildly – some L2s are hardly stronger than an L1, others are strong but unstable, while a few are powerful and stable enough for combat, though they usually suffer some discomfort from their implants. L2s are all around the same age.
- L3 – In 2170, the L3 implant was developed. L3 biotics are consistently stable with moderate ability; while their upper limit is less than an L2, L3s are safe from dangerous side effects. Because of the implementation date, most L3s are 25 or younger. Some are older, having been implanted later in life.
- L3-R – Short for ‘L3-retrofit’, this is an L1 or L2 who has undergone extremely dangerous brain surgery to replace their implant with a newer model.
- L3-X – Implants installed in an unsuitable candidate.
- L4 – A new implant used on the children in the Ascension Project; these implants use biotic amplifiers with built-in VI interfaces to enable external monitoring and enhance the user’s abilities. L4 implants give a 10-15% increase in power over L3s in 90% of subjects with no currently known side effects.
- L5x – In Mass Effect 2, Adepts are outfitted with L5x implants.
- L5n – In Mass Effect 2, Vanguards are outfitted with L5n implants.